You can transfer your existing domain to us to help keep your services organized.
Transferring your existing domain into your client area
If you have a domain registered with a different registrar and would like to transfer it to us, you can do this easily in your client area.
What you need before starting
Before you can transfer the domain, there are a few things you will need to do first.
- First, you will need to ensure that the contact email address is a valid email address. If the email is not valid, the transfer will fail. (see note below regarding updating email addresses)
- You will need to contact the current domain registrar and enusre that the domain is unlocked and available for transfer.
- You will need to ensure that any domain privacy features are disabled.
- You will need to request an EPP or transfer authorization code from the registrar. This is needed before the transfer can be completed.
Note If you update the contact information in any way, it is possible that the domain will be locked from transfer for 60 days. This is part of ICANN policy and there is no way to avoid it. If you need to update your contact your contact information, you will need to plan accordingly.
Transferring your domain in
To transfer a domain to your account follow these directions:
- Login to your Client Area. You can access the client area here.
Click on Order New Services
You will then want to click on Transfer in a Domain
- Type in the domain you wish to transfer and the EPP Code.
- You will now be on the order screen. Here you can add hosting to the domain or ID protection. You will also be able to set the nameservers for your domain.
- Click Continue to be brought to your check out area.
There is a set process that occurs when transferring a domain name from one registrar to another. While this process is not the same for all domain TLD's, this will be to process for most.
- Customer contacts the current registrar and ensures that the contact email is valid. If the email is not valid, the customer will updated it. This will cause the domain to lock and they will need to wait 60 days before they can proceed.
- Customer ensures that the domain is unlocked and any domain privacy is disabled.
- Customer requests the EPP code or transfer authorization code from the current registrar. This is typically emailed to the contact email address.
- Customer will contact the new registrar and request the domain transfer by providing the domain name and the EPP code or transfer authorization code.
- Once the order is completed, the new registrar will contact the old registrar and request the domain be transferred.
- The old registrar will send a verification request to the email on file for the domain.
- The customer verifies that they requested the transfer. If this is not verified, the transfer fails.
- Once the verification is complete, the old registrar approves the transfer and the transfer is initiated. This will change the status of the domain to pendingTransfer
- Once initiated, the transfer should complete within 5 to 10 business days. This is ICANN policy and cannot be expedited.
- Once the transfer completes, the customer should receive an email from the new registrar avising that the transfer is completed.
If you have any questions, please be sure to reach out to our support staff by putting in a ticket.